SoftTest Dublin – May EventBY : softtestireland - Friday, April 12th, 2019 at 5:33 am
SoftTest Dublin – May Event
Talk: Test Consultancy – Is it a Lost Art in a Disruptive World?
Speaker: Wayne Cunningham
Date: Wednesday 1st May
Venue: Expleo, 30 North Wall Quay, Dublin 1 (D01 R8H7)
Time: 6-7.30pm (Network with a slice of pizza at 6. Talk starts at 6.30)
About the Talk:
Digital disruption* or disruptive innovation** has shifted the way we view the discipline of testing, from our test techniques, to the technologies we employ to support it. This presentation seeks to consider the more subtle side of testing, namely the practice of test consultancy, and explore if this has also, indeed shifted. Areas that typically aren’t considered, because technology generally isn’t applied to them.
Areas such as:
- Internalisation of digital disruption, rather than adoption – are we doing old things in new ways, or are we actually doing new things?
- Client engagement – whether clients are on new technology or old technology, whether they have mature processes/ controls or not, are we (testers) successfully engaging our clients with digital disruption at the forefront of our minds?
- Solution development – are we looking at fixing problems, solving problems (yes, there is a difference), or providing actual-to-goodness solutions?
- Technological aids – do we effectively utilise all the tools within our toolset, or are we trying to draw water from a dry well?
*Digital disruption – defined as an effect that changes the fundamental expectations and behaviors in a culture, market, industry or process that is caused by, or expressed through, digital capabilities, channels or assets citation – https://www.gartner.com/it-glossary/digital-disruption
** Disruptive innovation – defined as an innovation that creates a new market and value network and eventually disrupts an existing market and value network, displacing established market-leading firms, products, and alliances citation – Ab Rahman, Airini; et al. (2017). “Emerging Technologies with Disruptive Effects: A Review”.
About the Speaker:
Wayne is a Senior QA Manager with Expleo and has 20 years of experience in projects, with more than 12 years in the Software Testing/Quality Assurance Industry. He has led large testing engagements in both the financial (banking and stock exchanges) and retail sectors. He has worked with multiple delivery models, and has introduced robust frameworks, focusing on value delivered, over control achieved, into highly regulated environments.
Spoke at the following events:
- Next Generation Testing – Johannesburg, South Africa, July 2015
- Agile Leadership Summit – Bangalore, India, July 2016 (full day workshop on exploratory testing)
- World Conference Next Generation Testing – Bangalore India, July 2016
- SIGiST speaker – Johannesburg, South Africa, August 2016